Type I and Type II Errors

 

๐Ÿ“Š Type I and Type II Errors


๐Ÿง  Overview

In classification (and hypothesis testing), errors are broadly categorized into:

  • Type I Error (False Positive)
  • Type II Error (False Negative)

These errors help us understand different kinds of mistakes made by a model.


๐Ÿ”ด 1. Type I Error (False Positive)


๐Ÿ”น Definition

A Type I error occurs when:

The model predicts a positive class, but the actual class is negative.


๐Ÿ“Œ In Terms of Confusion Matrix

  • Type I Error = False Positive (FP)

๐Ÿ“ Formula (False Positive Rate)

Type I Error Rate=FPFP+TN\text{Type I Error Rate} = \frac{FP}{FP + TN}


๐ŸŽฏ Impact

  • Affects Precision
  • High FP → lower precision

๐Ÿ”ต 2. Type II Error (False Negative)


๐Ÿ”น Definition

A Type II error occurs when:

The model predicts a negative class, but the actual class is positive.


๐Ÿ“Œ In Terms of Confusion Matrix

  • Type II Error = False Negative (FN)

๐Ÿ“ Formula (False Negative Rate)

Type II Error Rate=FNTP+FN\text{Type II Error Rate} = \frac{FN}{TP + FN}


๐ŸŽฏ Impact

  • Affects Recall (Sensitivity)
  • High FN → lower recall

⚖️ Summary Comparison

Error TypeAlso CalledCondition        Affects
Type I    False Positive    Predict +, Actual –        Precision
Type II    False Negative    Predict –, Actual +        Recall

๐Ÿงช Example: Medical Diagnosis


๐Ÿฅ Scenario

A diagnostic test is used to detect a disease.


๐Ÿ”ด Type I Error (False Positive)

  • Test predicts disease present
  • Patient is actually healthy

๐Ÿ‘‰ Leads to:

  • Unnecessary stress
  • Additional tests/treatment

๐Ÿ”ต Type II Error (False Negative)

  • Test predicts no disease
  • Patient actually has the disease

๐Ÿ‘‰ Leads to:

  • Missed diagnosis
  • Potentially serious consequences

๐ŸŽฏ Key Insight

There is often a trade-off between Type I and Type II errors.

  • Reducing one may increase the other
  • Choice depends on application context

๐Ÿ“Œ Final Takeaways

  • Type I Error → False alarm
  • Type II Error → Missed detection
  • Both are critical for evaluating model performance
  • Must be minimized based on real-world cost of errors

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Machine Learning PCCST503 Semester5 KTU CS 2024 Scheme - Dr Binu V P

Introduction to Machine Learning (ML)

Distinguishing Machine Learning from Traditional Programming